Professional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Simulation
CFD simulation is at the core of what we do here at our Singapore office in BroadTech Engineering.
We are a CFD company which provide a comprehensive range of CFD consulting services such as CFD flow analysis, CFD Modeling, Mechanical simulation and Digital Prototyping solution to help design engineers and Analysts make the correct engineering decisions earlier in the design development process.
This CFD consulting allows engineering companies to leverage the CFD services to validate and optimize designs way before the manufacturing phase and increases the performance efficiency.
What is CFD
CFD or computational fluid dynamics is the study of the Fluid flow of liquids and gases in and around specifically engineered objects under study. It also involves the numerical modeling and simulation of thermal behaviors.
The equations governing fluid dynamics is complex and is often unsolvable manually by hand.
However, through the use of CFD simulation software methods and Computational Fluid Analysis algorithms, it has made it possible to accurately predict the Fluid flow behavior of liquid and gases and its interaction with the engineering product designed.
Why CFD Simulation
Computational fluid dynamics or CFD analysis is an important part of the engineering design process as it helps to boost the energy efficiency of design performance, reduce the risk of failure and helps to accelerate innovation in engineering design.
By having insights into the forces that affect the fluid dynamics simulation through the use of Fluid Dynamic Analysis, you can make the critical design decisions that can significantly reduce energy consumption and improve performance efficiency
Featured CFD Simulation Case Studies
Optimization of Thermal Cooling Systems
One of the key processes in a metal extrusion plant is the efficient thermal cooling of the extruded beams through natural convection. Our customer needed to achieve maximize the airflow while minimizing the acoustic noise footprint outside the factory. The current air intake designs were modified and optimized using Airflow Simulation to guarantee uniform airflow, sound vibrational isolation and maximum cooling capacity of interior currents. Buoyant structures and wind sensitivity were analyzed using Air Flow Analysis to evaluate different designs of air intakes.
Thermal Comfort of Glass Facade
An in-depth thermal comfort analysis was conducted in the intermediate space of the condominium building.This space is isolated from the exterior by means of a glazed facade. Right from the beginning, It was imperative to address the greenhouse effect and the influence of interior flow currents created by wind. All must be within acceptable comfort ranges. CFD results were combined with energy simulation in order to set-up the most energy-efficient facility.
Features & Benefits of CFD Simulation
1. Less Reliance on Physical Prototyping
2. Cutting Engineering Development Time
3. Focus on Design, We Take the Complexity out of Engineering Simulation
4. Early Validation of Engineering Design
- Using Wind Load Analysis to predict Building collapse due to Structural failure when subjected to wind loads
- Thermal Overheating of electronic components
- Failure of automotive car parts
Early Identification & Highlighting of Design Errors
5. Multiphysics Simulation
- Heat Transfer behavior to study Thermal characteristic of Specific Designs
- Fluid flow simulations to study accurate and detailed fluid flow behavior
- Using advanced computational fluid flow simulation tools, we as an Experienced CFD Fluid Dynamics Company can accurately simulate fluid flow behaviors and patterns in various situation, such as Laminar and Turbulent flow Modeling.
- Modeling of AirFlow of incompressible fluids moving around a physical object (such as Aeroplane wing airfoil Simulation)
- Cavitation CFD, where it involves the study of the Formation of Hollow cavitation in Fluid
- Fluid Flow simulation which takes into account the simultaneous effects of fluid thermal behaviors, such as natural convection buoyancy and forced convection flows
- Simulation of mold flow during Plastic injection molding process
We Help Our Clients Gain Valuable Insights to Optimize and Improve Product Performance, Reliability, and Efficiency.
1. Powerful ANSYS FEA Simulation Software Tools
2. FEA Consultants with Extensive Research & Professional Experience
3. FEA projects Completed in a Timely and Cost-effective Manner
4. Proven Track Record
6. Full Knowledge Transfer
Applications of CFD Simulation
CFD analysis should be used throughout the design process to gain insight and to make good design decisions
1. Thermal prototyping
CFD Thermal analysis can be used to solve and optimize engineering design thermal performance for all modes of heat transfer (ie. Conduction, Convection, Radiation) between various medium (eg. From Solid to solid, Solid to fluid, or Fluid to Fluid)
eg. Temperature behavior in an electronics enclosure
2. Building Efficiency Design
Use CFD software and thermal modeling tools by ESD Consultants for various architectural and MEP Building Performance Simulation applications, such as
- Optimization of building CFD aerodynamics using Wind Simulation for minimization of Wind loads
- Wind engineering and Natural Ventilation CFD Analysis for Enhancing natural indoor ventilation and reduces reliance on Mechanical forced ventilation by Fans
- Fluid Flow Optimization of the Building Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing systems to Improve Energy efficiency
- Data Center CFD Simulation and HVAC CFD Simulation to enhance HVAC system efficiency and lower Energy consumption
- Thermal Comfort Analysis – Use of Thermal Simulation visualization technology and Natural Ventilation Simulation approach to Ensuring the comfortable indoor environment in a crowded building indoor environment (eg. Meeting hall)
- Wind Driven Rain Simulation to simulate the entry of rain into building interior due to various Wind directions
3. Fluid Flow Control in Industrial Applications
- Drop in pressure as fluid flows through a valley component
- Design performance behavior in Turbulent flow conditions/scenarios using Turbulent Simulation
- Distribution of Fluid flow and Thermal temperature flow. eg. Efficient use of optimized heat sinks to eliminate the need for cooling fans in electronics. This helps to provide a significantly smaller design form factor and increases product performance reliability.
- Hydrodynamic Simulation Modeling of Ship Hull Design for performance of Ship Trim optimization
- Optimize Efficiency of Turbo-machinery and Combustion Engines
- Solving of in-flight icing by the CFD Engineer.
4. Automotive Aerodynamics
Aerodynamic simulation through the use of CFD Modeling
eg. Study of wind resistance effects on a car, motorcycle in motion
Types of CFD Simulation Scenarios
- Commercial Ship Hydrodynamics simulation for purpose of Ship Optimization
- Green Water Loading Simulation to Validate Design of Ship Deck Structure and FPSO
A Compressible fluid flow is where the fluid density varies with the Pressure values. Such Fluid flows are usually high speed flows with Mach numbers greater than 0.3
Examples include Aerodynamic applications such as optimization of Fluid flow over an airplane wing aerofoil and applications in industrial processes such as engineering of Fluid flow through high-performance grade valves
The CFD simulation analysis of compressible flow takes into account the formation of shocks.
In the case of liquid, it comes in the form of water hammers.
Cavitation is a physical phenomenon that occurs in many high-velocity liquid flows. It occurs when vapor bubbles are formed when the liquid pressure drops below the vapor pressure of the liquid.
Prolonged cavitation have a negative effect of causing pitting and erosion in equipment, resulting in significant reduction in efficiency, costly downtime and repairs
Cavitation is common occurrence in devices, such as
- High-performance valves
- Flow control valves devices
- Fluid flow simulation of Pumps using Mechanical Fan CFD Simulation, such as Axial fans CFD Modeling, Jet Fan CFD Simulation, and Centrifugal Fan CFD
- Industrial mixing Propeller CFD Simulation
- High speed Centrifugal Pump – Cavitation is simulated using Centrifugal Pump CFD Simulation
Using CFD Cavitation simulation, we are able to efficiently and quickly analyzed
- Predicts the Occurrence and location of bubble formation within the flow
- Monitor the vapor bubble to volume ratio
Scalar Mixing of 2 Fluids
- Industrial applications, such as Stir Tank Propeller Simulation used in Mixing processes
- Building Architectural applications, such as using Air Dispersion modelling for Tracking the distribution of air pollutants in smoke. Such Air Quality Modeling studies uses specialized Air Pollution Dispersion Model, such as Aermod.
- Infrastructure design, such as naturally occurring flows behavior like waves sloshing and fluid spilling
Call Us for a Free Consultation
Discover what CFD Simulation can do for your company today by calling us at +6581822236 for a no obligation discussion of your needs.
If you have any questions or queries, our knowledgeable and friendly consultants will be happy to answer any of your queries and understand more about your needs and requirements
Alternatively, for quote request, simply email us your technical specifications & requirements to email@example.com
Other Featured CFD Simulation Case Studies
CFD Simulation of Smoke extraction system of Mall Under different fire scenarios
Standard k-ε turbulence model
Outcome & Conclusion
Wind Driven Rain (WDR) CFD simulation project for environmental flows around an aircraft hangar
HVAC CFD Simulation study of a Sport Arena
Integrated Environmental modeller (for HDB)
Urban Airflow Dynamics Simulation over the Bolund hill
Numerical study of free surface flow based on smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) method
Outcome & Conclusion
Sloshing: Oil tank Hydrodynamic CFD simulation & Optimization
Outcome & Conclusion
Long-term Ecological, water and Sediment quality monitoring and Numerical Modelling of the seawaters around Singapore
Outcome & Conclusion
CFD Fluid Flow Analysis of Hydraulic DTH (Down the hole) Hammer Prototype
Analysis of Flue Gas Flow in The Piping of Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler
This CFD simulation is about how to depict the flow characteristics of multiphase fluid within the pipe. And then, to design a modification of 3D piping to accommodate the separation of the small solid particles (ashes) from the gas phase along the pipe and also to direct the fluid flow into a more laminar type. The method that was used for the CFD Simulation is Lagrangian for the solid particle and the Eulerian for the gas phase in which they are applied using ANSYS CFX. The separation method has relied upon the gravitational factor and the mass difference between those two phases. After implementing modification of baffles on certain areas, a high portion of ashes can be kept in the ash pit area while the flow can be directed into a more laminar type while it was also able to be distributed in a similar amount of flow rate for all outlets.
Backpressure valve (BPV) and downpipe design
Outcome & Conclusion
CFD Simulation of Gas Flow on the Pipe Ejector
Numerical Simulation of 3D Local Scouring Around Submarine Pipeline
Outcome & Results
Sand Erosion Modelling in the Gas Pipeline Bends
The simulation is about to depict the potential of erosion location on pipeline bends due to the existence of sand within the gas flow. The objective is to apply the best model for the pipeline bend so that the erosion area can be diminished. This was performed using STAR CCM+. Moreover, the method that was used is Lagrangian particle tracking for the sand as this was intended to show the collision area of the solid particle on the pipeline wall. Meanwhile, the Eulerian is used for the gas phase to depict it as one body of flow. The factor that determines the model selection is the curvature of pipe bend, the selection of U bend or S bend, and the pipeline diameter. Consequently, the U pipe model with 2D curvature and diameter of 25 cm was chosen as the erosion has occurred the least on this model.
On-demand Reactivity Enhancement to Enable Advanced Low-Temperature Natural Gas IC Engines
Numerical Simulation of a Dynamic/Active Heat Flux sensor on a Flat wall using Ansys (Fluent)
Outcome & Conclusion
Improvement of the lifetime prediction of the silicon fluid in torsional dampers
- – The heat flux profiles on the inner walls of the damper from us.
- – The Thermal temperature profile on the skin of the damper from Caterpillar.
CFD analysis of turbulent swirling flow instability in the vaneless diffuser
Extend the gas turbine engine performance for client in Gas turbine industries
Microchannel Solar Receiver Project
- Thermal Simulation modeling and design of microchannels with circular pin fins using STAR-CCM+ CFD Thermodynamics Simulation.
- Work involved computational modeling of coupled fluidic and heat transfer processes occurring in a unit cell of the Microchannel Solar Receiver (MSR). Conducted detailed parametric CFD Analysis study varying the geometric parameters for microchannel pin fin design to achieve maximum thermal efficiency with minimum pressure drop.
- Developed an optimized fluidic design of unit cell design of microchannel solar receiver with circular pin fins that meets efficiency goal and pressure drop and temperature goals.
Porous media CFD simulations
- CFD simulations using Lattice Boltzmann based solver – PowerFLOW to analyse essential rock properties.
- The main objective for this CFD Simulation is developing scripts in Python, estimate resistance values for porous media and run simulations using porous media model in PowerFLOW and find out permeability.
- Porous media CFD simulations on micro CT scan images to account for unresolved porosity.
CFD Simulation involving High Knudsen number flow
- CFD simulations to study flow in microchannel and microtubes for high Knudsen number flow.
- Because for unconventional rocks like Shale, Knudsen number is high due to high pressure and smaller length scales.
- Therefore, to study behaviour of flow in high Knudsen number is very important. Developed code/scripts to automate simulation and analyze functionality using object oriented programing in Python for high Knudsen number flow.
CFD Simulation for Heat Transfer Applications
Outcome and Conclusion
Thermal Heat transfer: Radiator core selection
Development of next-generation industrial gas-liquid mixing device for hydro-processing reactors used in refineries
Development of methodology to understand and quantify the relationship between the catalyst particle shapes and catalyst deactivation.
Conditioning Tower for a Cement Manufacturing Plant
Development of next-generation industrial gas phase hydrocarbon fuel burner device for chemical reactors used in oil & gas industries.
Milk frother CFD simulation
- Assumption: working fluid water, in-compressible, No Cavitation
- set the initial condition like water height. temperature..
- CFD Analysis settings: Transient state,Turbulence: RNG K-e, free surface VOF (interface capturing method), Bottom of the jar boundary fixed heat flux q, for the rotating impeller moving element with dis-continues mesh, all walls: No-slip , Top face of the jar: open (fixed static pressure), time step: 0.0001 s (fixed)
- Test run, Final run
Outcome and conclusion:
Prediction of Dew condensation on the display Case for cold storage
- Assumption: in-compressible, products are kept at constant Thermal temperature.
- Initial condition: set the domain temperature and humidity, display case internal temperature
- Settings used for the Jet Fan CFD Analysis: Transient state, buoyancy is considered, Turbulence: Linear low Re model, Humidity and dew condensation considered. Wall: No-slip walls, heat transfer considered. fan model: blower type. time step 0.001 s (fixed)
- Test and Final run
Outcome and Conclusion:
CFD code development for blood flow along a bifurcating artery
Cardiovascular Flow Dynamics Simulation Modeling
Methodology & Approach:
Outcome & Results:
Aerodynamics: Sidepod/front wing/radiator optimization
Numerical Aerodynamics investigation of Flapping Wing Design
Outcome & Results
Numerical Simulations of Transonic Buffet on a Half Wing-Body Configuration.
CFD Analysis on Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) Platform
Outcome and Conclusion:
CFD Modeling of Air flow around Vortex generators
Steady and Unsteady Analysis of Turbine Stage of Small Turbofan & TurboFan Engine
Objective: To carry out the unsteady simulations of turbine stage and its comparison with CFD steady analysis
Methodology: Grid generation in NUMECA’s AutoGrid5 | 3D analysis in ANSYS-CFX
Outcome: Results obtained from the unsteady analysis is within limits as compared to steady analysis results and a lot of time can be saved with steady analysis.
CFD analysis of airflow through a C-D nozzle
Paint spray simulation through Coating Hood
Cascade Analysis of Turbine Blade Sections of Small Gas Turbine, Small Turbofan, and Turbofan Turbine
Objective: To carry out the CFD analysis of turbine blade sections and its comparison with the experimental data
Methodology: Grid generation in NUMECA’s AutoGrid5 | 3D analysis in ANSYS-CFX
Outcome: The CFD results were within acceptable limits compared to the experimental data
CFD simulation study on Aeroacoustics in Unsteady Exhaust flows.
CFD simulation case study on Exhaust flow.
Preliminary CFD analysis for the comparison of two exhaust brake valve designs.
CFD Modeling of Soot Particle Formation
- A new phenomenon soot CFD modelling approach have been proposed towards the formation of soot particles, particular in different hydrocarbon classes on soot characteristics, which guides in the selection of commercial surrogate fuels in clean engine combustion.
A full-cycle engine CFD model including valves movement and intake/exhaust ports have been employed in this FSI Simulation under KIVA-CHEMKIN platform, coupled with new soot model and fuel chemistry mechanism to test engine performance.
- Sensitivity analysis of main combustion reaction path of diesel surrogate fuel under varies combustion boundaries was done under STAR-CD platform.
The information of chemistry reaction paths, flow velocity, combustion and emission charateristics were anaylized in post-processing of the Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis.
3D CFD analysis of Components in IC Engine Exhaust Layout using OpenFOAM
Aerodynamics Simulation of Airflow around the DrivAer car model
Aerodynamics CFD Simulation of Formula SAE car
Research project at NUS collaborative with Bureau Vertias, supported by MPA
Hydrodynamics of a Boat Hull
I was approached by a boat builder to analyze their new design of a 52 ft catamaran motorboat. This was to determine the top speed, power requirement and other characteristics of their hull shape. Their initial hull design was not suited for the high-speed conditions they desired. So a more appropriate hull shape was proposed which met their requirements. The first boat is still under construction.
Flotation Tank and Flow Control Valves
Let us quickly touch on the fundamental Methodology of Engineering Simulation and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) mean and how they fit into your engineering development workflow processes.
What is Engineering Simulation
Engineering Simulation is an integral and core part of the digital prototyping process. Fundamentally the 3d CAD model of your product concept design is your digital prototype.
It is from this prototype model that critical engineering design information is verified, Tested and Validated along each of the engineering development function in the company, from Manufacturing to Production and finally to Sales and Marketing
Engineering simulation takes place predominantly in the early Test and Validation phase of the digital prototyping process, during which critical questions need to be answered. This includes questions such as:
Why Engineering Simulation
Engineering Simulation allows companies to develop better products quicker and at a cheaper rate
1. Save Time & Money
Traditionally, questions concerning a design performance have been answered through the Building and Testing a large number of physical prototype iterations which is an extremely Costly and Time-consuming process.
By leveraging on engineering simulation, you can test digital prototypes in a virtual environment, thus helping to save time and money as fewer physical prototypes are needed for testing.
2. Early Engineering Insights
Engineering simulation provides Accurate and Reliable results early in the design development process to help companies make better-informed engineering decisions to optimize their products.
It also allows Failure modes to be identified and Defects to discovered early in the engineering design life-cycle where there is flexibility for corrective modifications allows changes to be implemented relatively inexpensively.
This helps tremendously in the creation of higher quality products and prevents costly product recalls when the product is sold.
3. Accelerated Testing Cycle & Rate of Innovation
In a virtual simulation environment, designers and engineers have the freedom to test and Explore more what-if scenarios because engineering simulation is not constrained by physical size, cost, or external environmental conditions.
As the performance of specific Engineering designs when subjected to specific external conditions can be accurately predicted, it helps to accelerate the design testing cycles involved in optimizing the Materials and Design features.
4. Complete Picture
Through the use of CFD simulation analysis, it is able to give a complete view of the fluid flow behavior.
This accurate engineering insight helps to facilitate questions and critical thinking which is important for driving innovation.
This is in contrast to the individual testing of each iteration of physical prototypes, which only provides discrete pieces of test data